Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rule of Law

Never did I imagine the crazy spider web style world that makes up copyrights, patents, and trademarks.  My lawyer whom I interviewed did an awesome job of keeping her answers simple to understand and her examples were very helpful in understanding the subject itself.  The bottom line to me is that as I go through my career as a photographer it is best for me to protect myself as I go along, instead of being almost completely reactioinary after an event occurs.  After speaking with my lawyer extensively I now know that it would be best to get my logo watermarked and trademarked as soon as possible, as well as copyrighted my photographs. "Any public work of authorship that is not protected under the copyright law is said to fall under public domain." Patents, Copyrights, & Trademarks, page 319 Stemming from my question about inventing or developing a new product for cameras or lighting equipment; the best thing for me to do would to seek a patent immediatley after conception.  "Conception is forming something that is conceived; notion, idea, design or plan." Patents, Copyrights, & Trademarks, page 36  Ayonna Eagan, my lawyer, also informed me that if I felt as if my intellectual property was being infringed "infringemnt is a breach or infration as of a lwas, right, or obligation; violation; transgression."  Patents, Copyrights, and Trademarks, page 117 upon the web that there is a Digital Millenium Copyright Act for works that are strictly on the web.  "This federal statue addresses a number of copyright issues created by use of the Internet.  Among other things outlaws attempts to get around processes, methods, or devices that limit copying of copyrighted works." Patents, Copyrights, & Trademarks, page 251  For me the bottom line is to stay preventive rather than reactionary.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment