Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Week 6 EOC: "Illicit"

I have a confession.  My mother, the women who gave me life, is a criminal.  She knowingly breaks the law at an average of once a month, and the worst part about it, she is not alone.  She runs a criminal enterprise with help from her criminal friends.  What is her illegal business?  My mother and her friends conduct "purse parties" about once a month, selling knock off bags for a fraction of the price.  I used to rationalize that she is not hurting anyone, and that her "purse parties" were a fun way to save money to look more like a high status diva.  Everything changed once I saw the move"Illicit: The Dark Trade"

Many people share my original view on the harmless selling of knock-off fashion merchandise.  The movie "Illicit: The Dark Trade" showed that this seemingly innocent fun for retired mothers and housewives is just the tip of the iceberg for the black and grey market.  Think about it; how do we know that these knock-off purses weren't stuffed with kilos of cocaine or heroine upon shipment to small town USA?  Or the same cargo hold that those same persons are used to ship the fashion goods, aren't also used to ship young women for trade as sex slaves?   At the end of the day, it is just another illegal service that is being smuggled into America. 

This movie really amazed me and opened my eyes unto the illegal world that we live among everyday.  The question is how can you stop such a unstoppable market?  The problem also is that WE are the ones largely fueling this type of business; whether it be drugs, prescription medicine, and/or human organs.  I have come to the realization that, along with my mother, I too am a contributor. Bottom line is that as long as there is a need or a strong want for their style of production, there will always be a market for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment